Skip to main content

Paragard IUD: Insertion


HEY LADIES! Today I am bringing you a lovely "review" on the Paragard IUD. I am literally writing this blog a few hours after getting my Paragard inserted. I want to write a few blogs in the future to give you updates on how it is going for me. This blog is purely about the days leading up to the insertion and the procedure itself. I am going to include some medical facts because the nurse in me absolutely loves that sh*t. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy reading about my lady bits.

WHAT IS AN IUD?
An Intrauterine Device (IUD), is a T shaped device that is implanted into your uterus to prevent pregnancy. In the United States, as of 2013, only 3% of sexually active women have an IUD. In other countries the rates of women using IUD's for contraception is much higher. Lately, you probably have heard more about the IUD because Donald Trump is our president and there is a chance that Planned Parenthood may be defunded-- so people like IUD's because they are highly effective and last upwards of 10 years (depending on which on you get).
TYPES OF IUD's ON THE MARKET:
1- Paragard (the only non-hormonal IUD)
2- Mirena
3- Liletta
4- Skyla 
5- Kyleena (the smallest IUD on the market) 

The hormonal IUD's (#'s 2-5) last about 3-5 years and each cary a different amount of hormone. These IUD's affect your reproductive organs similarly to any other hormonal birth control- ovulation stops, uterine lining thins, and cervical mucus thickens. If fertilization were to occur, it would be very difficult for the egg to implant in the uterine wall. Many people end up losing their periods with hormonal IUD's. Side effects of the hormonal IUD's are similar to any other hormonal contraceptive.

HOW IS THE PARAGARD DIFFERENT THAN OTHER IUDS?
Paragard IUD
Paragard is different because it is completely hormone free. Meaning your body still goes through it's normal cycle including- ovulation and menstruation. It works as a contraceptive because it's flexible T contains copper on the outside of it. Copper is a natural spermicide which makes the uterus a hostile environment for sperm to reach the egg. It also makes it very difficult for a fertilized egg to implant in the uterine wall, making it nearly impossible to become pregnant. 
Unlike the hormonal IUD's, the Paragard lasts for 10 years! It's 100% reversible upon removal, if you are planning on getting pregnant. 
Paragard doesn't have any of the hormonal side effects- so, NO weight gain, decreased libido, mood changes, etc. Although, it can cause heavier, longer, and more crampy periods. It takes your uterus a few months (at least 3) to fully adjust to the Paragard. 

WHY I AM GETTING AN IUD // MY THOUGHTS PRE-INSERTION
Oh boy... So, I've been thinking about getting the Paragard IUD since high school. For reference of how long it took me to decide, I just graduated college. I remember reading that only people who have had babies should get them, because their uteruses are bigger, so I thought I wouldn't be able to get one. That's 100% a myth! Many people without children get IUD's. 
I chose Paragard because I didn't want any hormones. I never really had the best experience with birth control pills. I felt like the hormones made me a more dull version of myself. I quit birth control pills in March and have been totally loving no hormones! I knew Paragard was right for me, especially since condoms are annoying and there aren't really any other non-hormonal options. Plus, who likes having to take a pill everyday? Especially for those who work day & night shift.
I love how Paragard is extremely affective- 99.9%, but yet completely reversible for when I decide I want kids. And, with my current Paragard, I have 10 years to decide when I'd like to have kids! You really can't beat that. 
I've been putting off getting my IUD for months because I was terrified of getting it in. So, I finally made the appointment and just stuck with it even though every second I was there I wanted to run to my car and drive away. I read soooo many horror stories of women having the worst experiences- I highly suggest you stay away from the internet (even though you're already here ha ha). Keep in mind only the people that are unhappy tend to write reviews. I did read many positive reviews as well, which did help. I literally had an anxiety attack about getting my IUD 4 days before my appointment. When I got to the office, I was shaking, sweating, and nearly having a heart attack. So, being nervous is completely normal. 
I knew I had to give Paragard a shot, because if not I might have an "oops" baby which is not on my agenda.  
Make sure you take 600-800 mg of Motrin or Tylenol before hand :) 

THE PROCEDURE
All the supplies
If you are one of those people who like to know what's going on while the procedure is happening, I highly suggest watching a YouTube video about the insertion. I did, and it defiantly helped knowing what to expect. My OB likes to insert IUD's while you're on your period because 1) it ensures that you aren't pregnant and 2) your cervix is slightly more open, so it's easier to insert. I got back to the procedure room (it's just like any other OB/GYN room), stripped from waist down and plopped myself on the table. I was waiting there forever, and of course the anxiety was consuming me. I literally felt like I had to pee the entire time I was there. Finally, my OB came in. From start to finish the procedure took about 3 mins. She first inserted a speculum, which was uncomfortable but not painful. Then she cleaned around my cervix with iodine swabs, which I couldn't feel at all. Then she had to put some sort of clamp on my cervix, to hold it open, which probably hurt the worst. She had me cough while she was doing it to distract from the pain, but it was still a pretty painful pinching sensation. Then she inserted a measuring device which looked like a neonatal NG tube (haha). That gave me an extremely intense period cramp sensation... It was like the worst cramp I've ever had. (Deep breathing helps) Then she inserted the IUD contraption, which caused another intense cramp. Then she trimmed the strings and took the clamp off. I guess the clamp creates a wound on your cervix so she puts a silver nitrate solution on it so it scabs over. Then the speculum was out and I was all done! Instantly I felt so much relief. I didn't really feel any cramping immediately after. On my 30 min. drive home I felt slight cramping. Now, about 2 hours later, I feel mild cramping. I am hoping it stays like this and doesn't get any worse!

*Note: When the IUD is inserted it is a rod shape, the doctor has to pull this slider type thing to open it up to be a T shape, once its in your uterus. 
The size of the Paragard is about 1.5 inchesX1.5 inches.

MY THOUGHTS POST-INSERTION
WHAT A RELIEF! I'm so relieved I got my IUD in. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be. Really, if you can handle bad menstrual cramps then you should be able to handle that. I was so happy it only took 3 mins. Like I said, I am having mild cramping now, which is expected. My OB told me 24-48 hours of cramping is normal. I plan on taking Ibuprofen around the clock until then. She also said nothing in the vagina for 7 days (intercourse, tampons, menstrual cups, etc). And no swimming for 7 days. I do feel some sort of sensation in my vagina by my cervix, I am not sure if it's the strings or if it's the spot where the clamp was. I have a follow up in one month & I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out. I'll keep you guys updated after my next cycle and let you know how it's going!
For anyone debating to get an IUD- go for it, it could be one of the best things you've ever done! If not, you can get it removed. It's definitely worth a shot. Be brave, you can do it.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them! Please keep in mind that everyone has different experiences with IUD's, the only one you can truly go off of is your own.

Thanks for reading!

-K

Popular posts from this blog

Benefit They're Real VS. Too Faced Better Than Sex

The ultimate mascara review! If you are even slightly a bit of a make up addict you probably have heard about both Benefit's They're Real and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I have tested them both out and feel confident I can give you an honest review on both of these mascaras. To be upfront I'll tell you that I prefer lengthening mascara, black black black mascara, non-waterproof, and a product that isn't going to smudge or flake off! I also bought these mascaras thinking that if I didn't like one or both of them I am definitely going to return them. Twenty some dollars is way too much money to spend on a product that doesn't work. So- here is how I tested the products: I wore all the mascara without any other eye makeup to determine smudging, flaking, etc. Day 1- I wore Too Faced Better Than Sex on both eyes Day 2- I wore Benefit's They're Real! on both eyes Day 3- I wore Too Faced on the left eye, Benefit on the right eye Day 4- I

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!