Skip to main content

HOW TO SURVIVE NIGHT SHIFT


Hello Nursing friends!
It's official! I have survived my first night shift (EVER)! I was so anxious about switching from days to nights. I was googling and asking my friends how I should prepare and it seemed like the best advice was from friends, not the internet (haha). ps- I am posting this blog months after writing it, I have done many night shifts since!

THE NIGHT BEFORE
I tried so hard to stay up late, but I couldn't do it! I was so use to going to work early and going to bed early. I usually would go to bed around 9-10 PM on a regular 7A-7P shift. I made it until 12 midnight, and decided to go to bed.
My advice- stay up a little bit later than normal, and as late as you possibly can. Don't stress your body out, if it needs sleep, go to sleep. There could be a chance you stay up late the night before and then cannot sleep in the next day.

THE DAY OF
I slept from 12-9A. Then I took 1.5 mg of Melatonin and took a nap from 11-2. I got ready for work around 5P and left shortly after 6P.
My advice- try to take a short nap IF you didn't sleep in. Don't use medications like Benadryl that stay in your system for a long time. Melatonin is nice because it stays in your system for only about 4 hours. I would defiantly NOT take more than 1.5 mg. Also, eat and drink during the day. Make sure you have dinner before you leave and go into work.

NIGHT SHIFT
So, my shift started at 7P. I had a very busy night and didn't get to eat until 1A, so definitely eat before you go. My stomach was confused and still is haha. I didn't get tired at all, surprisingly it went a lot smoother than I thought it would!

So, after my shift was over I got home and slept from 8:30A-2P, then 3P-4:45P. I slept great and had a very restful sleep. I did take a melatonin (3 mg), although I didn't probably need it. I got ready for my next shift at 5 and started all over again.

The second 12 hour night was hard. I got tired around 1A. I didn't eat as much, and my stomach was still confused. My advice is to eat when you are hungry, not when you think you should. Listen to your body! TMI but my body didn't know when to poop. My rule of thumb is go whenever you have to. As long as your going, you're good. Doesn't matter if its your normal amount. I made it through the night and still felt fine and not completely drained, just tired and hungry.
I slept from 8A-1P. I have been up ever since. I don't have another night shift for two days. So, I was tired as shit and it was 630P. I got a little perk of energy around 8 and stayed up until 12 and slept until 11PM the next day!! I had a very normal two days off and got to be awake for the full "day time". For my last night shift of the week I stayed up until 2A and slept until 11P. Once again I wasn't tired at all at work and felt great. Rebounding after my 3rd night of the week was a little harder, but  24 hours later I am back on track.

I actually love night shifts. I am much more awake at night time, and I slept more restfully during the day. My dog has someone home with her 24/7. I am able to let my dog out when I get home, so my boyfriend can sleep in. My pup gets let out in the morning then sleeps til 1 or 2, so we are on similar sleep schedules. I just love knowing she's not alone. It is harder for my boyfriend and I because I literally get to see him for 30 mins that day, but honestly when I come home from a day shift I am in bed within an hour and too tired to even talk to him so it's not really that different. All in all I really love night shift- the hardest things are eating, pooping, and adjusting to days afterwards.
Hope this blog helps!!
Thanks for reading!

-K




Popular posts from this blog

Benefit They're Real VS. Too Faced Better Than Sex

The ultimate mascara review! If you are even slightly a bit of a make up addict you probably have heard about both Benefit's They're Real and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I have tested them both out and feel confident I can give you an honest review on both of these mascaras. To be upfront I'll tell you that I prefer lengthening mascara, black black black mascara, non-waterproof, and a product that isn't going to smudge or flake off! I also bought these mascaras thinking that if I didn't like one or both of them I am definitely going to return them. Twenty some dollars is way too much money to spend on a product that doesn't work. So- here is how I tested the products: I wore all the mascara without any other eye makeup to determine smudging, flaking, etc. Day 1- I wore Too Faced Better Than Sex on both eyes Day 2- I wore Benefit's They're Real! on both eyes Day 3- I wore Too Faced on the left eye, Benefit on the right eye Day 4- I

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!