Skip to main content

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys!
This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!
 Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi
oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!





My Story

I started college in August 2013 as a Dietetics’ major. I stayed in that program for two years. In 2015, I switched my major to Nursing. I will be graduating with my Bachelors in Nursing and a Minor in Nutrition in August 2017 (fingers-crossed). I am currently on my second semester of nursing courses. I am taking summer courses this summer and next summer to make sure I graduate “on time”. I could write about my decision to change my major, my first two years of college, why I am taking summer courses, etc. but it would take hours! If you have questions or want advice about college please leave them in the comments below :)

My plans after graduating are to move from my home town as soon as possible, go south, and become a labor and delivery nurse. I am fascinated by pregnancy, birth, and babies. I think that being a L&D nurse might actually be my calling in life. After working for a few years, I would like to continue on and get my Masters in Nursing in Midwifery. I would like to eventually open my own private practice. 

Before Classes Begin 

Depending on your program, you will most likely have a thick packet of pre-semester things to do. We were required to get a physical, titers, TB testing, immunizations, background clearances, get liability insurance, buy uniforms… the list goes on. This will be overwhelming, but it isn’t hard. Just make sure you get your things done before their due dates. Don’t wait until last minute! My university would kick you out of the program if you didn’t get your requirements in, so this is crucial! This is also the expensive part. Here is a list of all my expenses prior to starting the nursing program:

CPR Class-$55
Department of Welfare fingerprinting- $27.75
Department of Education fingerprinting- $27
Child Abuse Clearance- $10
Background Check- $10
Uniform- $139.45
Lab Kit- $152
ATI Packet $575
Liability Insurance- $38
White Shoes- $50
Stethoscope (optional)- $75
TOTAL: $1,149.30

This does not include: anything medical that wasn’t covered by your insurance, programs your school may use to complete requirements (ex. Certified Profile), tuition, apartment rent, books, and school supplies.

I find that nobody talks about this part of nursing school. I had no idea about it until I already switched my major. I think that anyone who is looking into a program like this needs to be aware of this! Contact your university to find out what they require. Obviously it can be done (financially) or no one would do it, but I would make a plan of how you’re going to pay for this.
This is definitely a negative that equals a positive with hard work and dedication. After all of the expenses you should be able to graduate and get a secure well paying job!

What Nursing Classes Are Really Like

I have learned more in the last six months than I have in my entire 2.5 years at college. It’s been eye opening. I really enjoy everything that I have learned and I find it fascinating. I think that anyone who is interested in a nursing program needs to be interested in the subject or you will be miserable. I never thought I was going to be a nurse one day, but I do have a love for medicine. I am excited I chose to make that part of the rest of my life.

I was that kid in high school that never studied much and barely did anything but passed with flying colors. College isn’t like that, unfortunately. You are definitely going to have to learn to study. It took me about a year into college to learn how I studied and what worked best for me.

Tips & Tricks for Studying (for ANY college student):

  • Don’t wait until last minute. Most likely you’ll have other exams and assignments due the same week you have a huge nursing exam. If you wait until last minute you will just become very stressed and do worse. Trust me staring at a book for 7 hours straight can make you go crazy!
  • Make a study guide or notecards. Typically my professors send us brief topics that’ll be on our exams and the number of questions that come from those topics. I usually fill in everything that I took notes and read in the book into a study guide. From that I make notecards. I use to make paper notecards but I found that to be extremely wasteful, time consuming, and tedious. Now I make quizlet notecards. Quizlet is AMAZING!
  • Practice, practice, practice. Take as many practice questions as you can. We have an online text book that comes with a program that has thousands of practice questions. These questions help you on exam and the NCLEX.
  • Get enough sleep. If you are exhausted you don’t perform well in class, on exams, or in life. It’s extremely easy to get tired and out of whack when you are in a nursing program because all the classes start at the crack of dawn. For some one like me who is a night person, you will have to train yourself (and use a lot of melatonin) to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. The night before an exam: go to bed early and don’t study until 2 AM. Getting sleep will help you more than cramming everything.



If you’re curious to what kind of classes you’ll be taking here is a list of the courses required through my program (excluding electives, liberal studies, and sciences):

Fundamentals of Nursing I
Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical
Fundamentals of Nursing II
Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical II
Health Assessment
Maternal-neonatal (Labor and Delivery)
Maternal-neonatal Clinical
Child and Family Care (Pediatrics)
Child and Family Care Clinical
Professional Nursing
Adult Health
Adult Health Clinical
Research Utilization
Professional Nursing II
Adult Health II
Adult Health Clinical II
Management Clinical
Psychiatric and Mental Health
Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical
Community Health
Community Health Clinical
Cognitive Approach to Nursing

If you have questions about the individual classes, feel free to ask me in the comments!

Personally, I don’t find the class content hard but it is a lot that you need to know. Everything you learn in nursing school you need to be able to remember. Things you learn at the beginning of you schooling you can be tested on your very last day. This causes a lot of extensive studying. I feel like the hardest classes in nursing are the sciences. You will most likely have to take: chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy, physiology, cellular biology, and microbiology. These classes are hard. 

What are nursing exams like?

Nursing exams aren’t like any old exam. You could get a question where every answer would be a good thing to do but you have to pick the best one. It can get tricky and confusing. I find that reading the textbooks helps with this because often what you’re tested on that’s specific comes straight out of the book (word for word). You may struggle a little bit your first semester, but by the end of the semester you should get a hang of what nursing exams are like. Practicing online quizzes really helps! If you’ve reviewed and studied your material, and paid  attention in class you should have nothing to worry about. Go into all of your exams with a positive mindset and on a good night’s sleep :) 

 What is clinical like?

Clinical is the class that you take to practice your skills. In the beginning you will mostly practice your skills on mannequins and older adults in nursing homes. I was surprised by this because literally for the whole first year of my schooling I will not be in a hospital once, so that may come as a shock and could be frustrating to some people. Be patient because after you get all of the basic nursing knowledge down (fundamentals classes) you will head off into the real world and work on different types of people in the hospital. Clinical isn't hard if you come prepared and know what you're doing. When you start working on people and not mannequins it is going to be nerve wracking but you will get a hang of it. When you're in clinical you should watch videos to supplement your instruction, work on your communication skills, practice practice practice, and study. It's only hard if you make it hard. 

Ps- get use to nudity, smelliness, urine, poop, and bodily fluids.


What are some reasons why people say that nursing is hard?

  1. It takes a lot of time to go to class, have clinical, and study. You will have to put more time into this than anything you ever have. 
  2. You need to know everything and remember everything.
  3. You have to read the textbooks!
  4. Exam questions are tricky. 
  5. You're working on people so if you were to do something wrong some one could get hurt.
  6. The science classes are not easy. 
  7. You will probably be up at 5 AM or earlier at least twice a week. 
  8. College in general is not easy.

Breathe! You're going to get through nursing school!


Thanks for reading!


-K



Popular posts from this blog

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Paragard IUD: Insertion