Skip to main content

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!





MARILYN
Anyways, as I've said in my cleansing conditioner reviews, I stopped highlighting my hair several months back. My natural color is pretty light so my roots aren't terrible, but they are noticeable. I started looking into several other ways to get lighter hair without having to get highlights every 2 to 3 months. One of the solutions I found was Marilyn from LUSH. Marilyn is a hair treatment that is supposed to lighten and brighten your hair naturally, and moisturize your hair. It claims that Marilyn is only for blondes (I'd assume brunettes could use it too though to lighten their hair). The lightening ingredients are: chamomile, saffron, and lemon. 

Price- $23.95 for 7.9 oz. I thought this was rather expensive especially for the fact that the product only lasted me a total of 5 times! I had to try it though, and I am going to consider trying to make my own if the product works well. 


How to use & how I used it- You are supposed to thoroughly cover your hair with the product before showering and leave it in for 20 mins. and then rinse out as normal. 
Since my root's are my main problem and I wanted to save as my product as I could, I saturated my roots (a good 4-5 inches of my hair) and just covered the ends of my hair slightly. I let it stay on my hair for the full 20 mins. I used the product every other day until I was out of it (a total of 5 times). I used it once with the Daddy-O Shampoo. Every other time I washed it out with Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner (I found that I used significantly less cleansing conditioner when paired with the Marilyn b/c the Marilyn has a cleaning aspect to it too).

Smell- I was not a fan of the smell of the Marilyn but it didn't smell bad. It has a sort of earthy smell. You can definitely smell the chamomile. 

How well the product worked- Well, for the moisturizing aspect of the hair treatment, I thought the product did not provide moisture. I didn't mind this because that's not why I was using the Marilyn. I thought that the product made my hair less frizzy, shinier, and softer. As for the lightening aspect, after 2 days I thought the Marilyn helped blend my natural hair color and my highlights together. After using it for 5 times I feel like my hair looked better conditioned (getting a hair cut helped), and it continued to blend my roots in very nicely! I think that it helped my roots lighten up slightly to match my bleached color J see for yourself in the pictures!

Likes- Creates soft, manageable, shiny hair, and lightens and blends roots/hair color.

Dislikes- Expensive, product doesn’t last long, adds 20 mins. to get ready in the AM, contains parabens, and smell.

Buy/use again?- I would use this product everyday if it were free, but that’s not the case. I am sort of a cheap college student so, for the moment, I am not going to buy it again.  I am going to consider making a DIY version J

DADDY-O
Initially, this blog was only supposed to be a review on Marilyn, but LUSH was so kind to give me a small sample of Daddy-O. Daddy-O claims to get rid of brassy tones for people with blonde and grey hair. It is a purple shampoo. I am not 100% sure what gets rid of the brassy tones (like which ingredient), but I have noticed there are quite a few purple shampoos for blondes out there. If you know let me know in the comments!

Price- $9.95 for 3.3 fl. oz. Since I didn’t purchase Daddy-O and only got a sample of it I can’t tell you how long the product would last. The bottle at the store was rather small, so I am guessing if you use it like regular shampoo, it wouldn’t last that long. You are able to get bigger sized bottles with a price increase.

How to use & how I used it- You are supposed to use this product just like any other shampoo! I used it 2 times (that’s as much as I could get out of the sample). I used it once with the Marilyn Hair Treatment, and once buy itself to see how it worked. I used my cleansing conditioner after I washed the shampoo out because it’s extremely drying.

Smell- YUM!! I loved the smell of this shampoo! It smells powdery and light. I would get this product again just because it smelled so good. The smell also lasted throughout the day.

How well the product worked- I thought that Daddy-O was EXTREMELY drying. I was not use to this because I have been using cleansing conditioners and they are the opposite. I thought that it made my hair shiny and contributed to the Marilyn in blending my darker blonde roots to my lighter blonde ends. It was hard to tell which product was working, so if I were to test this product again I would use it separately instead of with the Marilyn.

Likes- Smell, makes hair shiny, balances “brassy” colors.

Dislikes- Very drying, contains parabens.

Buy/use again?- I don’t think I will buy this product. I am set on using cleansing conditioners. Although, I wish there were purple (blonding) cleansing conditioners! If I were provided this product, I would use it but I don’t think I would go and buy it.


INGREDIENTS

Marilyn
Linseed Mucilage (Linum usitatissimum) , Chamomile Infusion (Anthemis Nobilis and Chamomilla Recutita) , Saffron Infusion (Crocus sativis) , Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Fresh Organic Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Olea europaea) , Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) , Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis) , Soya Lecithin , *Citral , *Limonene , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Propylparaben . *Occurs naturally in essential oils


Daddy-O
Fresh Organic Lemon and Bladderwrack Seaweed Infusion (Citrus limonum and Fucus gardneri) , Sodium Alkyl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Sea Water , Fragrance , Cocamide MEA , Propylene Glycol , Glycol Cetearate , Fresh Organic Lime Juice (Citrus aurantifolia) , Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata) , Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena) , Bergamot Oil (Citrus Aurantium bergamia) , Cananga Oil (Cananga odorata) , *Limonene , *Linalool , *Citronellol , Coumarin , Isoeugenol , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Benzyl Alcohol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Red 33 , Blue 1 . *Occurs naturally in essential oils

Use my referral link to get a $5 coupon at Amazon for signing into the Amazon App the first time: https://amazon.com/mpr?referralcode=KAYLA8470N&ref_=mpr_tr_ss

Popular posts from this blog

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!

Paragard IUD: Insertion