Skip to main content

Lena Menstrual Cup Review & Tips

Hey guys!
This week I will be reviewing something that could get a little gross… The Lena Menstrual Cup! As a soon to be nurse, there are very few things that I find disgusting or taboo to talk about. If you are uncomfortable about reading about menstruation and the female anatomy, then stop reading now!



For those of you who don’t know what a menstrual cup is, it’s a tiny little cup that you insert into your vagina when you’re having your period, and it catches the blood. You use it in place of pads and tampons. It’s made from medical grade silicone, it’s reusable, and its environmentally as well as economically friendly. I decided to buy a menstrual cup because I wanted to make the switch to organic cotton pads and tampons… Little did I know these cost up to 2x the amount that normal pads and tampons cost AND they are hard to find in stores.

The Reason to Switch

A few years ago, I read a heart breaking story about a girl who lost a leg from toxic shock syndrome (TSS) . She got TSS from keeping in a tampon too long. Although this is extremely rare, I feel it needs to be addressed.
If you want to read the story about TSS here is the link. 

Tampons and pads like Kotex, Playtex, and and Tampax contain synthetic ingredients such as rayon, polyester, and polypropylene. These chemicals are put together to form your tampons and pads. They are bleached, and can contain pesticides, dyes, and several other harmful chemicals/pollutants. Non-100% cotton tampons and pads are the perfect petri dishes to grow bacteria due to their plastic consistencies and warm, moist environment.
When you expose your vaginal walls to anything harmful, it is easily absorbed into your bloodstream.

I’m not saying if you don’t use organic cotton pads or tampons or a menstrual cup you’re going to get TSS; chances are you won’t and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It wouldn’t hurt to veer on the side of caution and try out some alternative methods for that time of the month.
  
Small LENA Menstrual Cup Review

Price

 $24.97 for one cup (small or large). The primary reason I bought the Lena cup was because I found it on Amazon Prime and it was one of the cheaper cups available. I thought that it looked like one of the nicer cups on Amazon, it had great reviews, and honestly the packaging was cute. You can only purchase this cup on Amazon. Compared to Natracare organic cotton tampons for $10 for 16 tampons, buying one menstrual cup can save you A LOT of $$! 

How to use it & how I used it

This is where knowing your anatomy is essential. Please head over to google and type in “female anatomy” if you are unfamiliar with what’s going on down there.

First, you will need to get familiar with the type of folds. There is the C-fold, seven fold, and punch down. For the Lena cup, personally I use the C-fold. I find it easiest to maintain for the entire insertion. The Lena cup is firm and hard to keep pinched closed, so the other folding methods may be slightly more difficult. Practice these folds prior to inserting the cup.


Second, you will insert the cup. This will be tricky and even uncomfortable for the first couple of times you try it. I suggest that you try a “dry run” before you get your period, so you know what it is going to be like. I also suggest not to trim the tail off until you are using it during your period. The “dry run” is misleading because when the cup is actually in you for several hours it shifts up towards your cervix. When you first insert it, it may be towards the opening of your vagina. I made the mistake of cutting off the entire stem after testing out my cup. I am still able to get my cup out, but it can be really hard at times.

To insert it, put it in the fold that you choose. You may want to use water or coconut oil/ personal lubricant to make it easier to get in. Start with your fingers towards the top of the cup. Make sure you spread your labia minora open, because that can be quite painful if you’re not careful. Shimmy your fingers slowly down the up simultaneously as you’re inserting the cup. Once the cup is in (so none of it is sticking out of you—but the tail can stick out), it should pop open and form a suction seal inside of you. To check and see if it popped open, run your finger along the base of the cup to check for folds.



Wearing your cup should be comfortable. You shouldn’t feel it and it shouldn’t be painful. If it is irritating or painful try re-inserting it with some lubricant. Make sure you position your cup slightly pointing to your tail bone (because your cervix tilts back).

Changing your menstrual cup is much much different than changing a tampon. I purchased the small Lena cup which holds 25 ml of fluid. The average “regular” sized tampon holds 5 ml of fluid. The Lena cup size small holds 5x more fluid!! (AMAZING). So, you don’t need to change the cup every 2-3 hours or so like you would with a tampon or pad. You can wait up to 12 hours to change the cup. Unless you have an extremely heavy flow, your cup shouldn’t be full after 10-12 hours. This is great for sleeping, working, and traveling.

I had some concerns before I started using the cup:

            Will I have to change the cup every 2-3 hours?
a.     No. Unlike a tampon the Lena menstrual cup hold 5x more fluids. The average menstrual period contains 35 ml of fluids, and the cup holds 25 ml of fluids. So, if you’re changing it once every 12 hours you can imagine your cup shouldn’t even be half way full (if you have a normal flow). You should be fine changing your cup every 6-12 hours.

Wouldn’t the blood spill everywhere when I was trying to take the cup out?
a.     No! Believe it or not, your cup probably won’t even be half way full by the time you take it out. I change mine every 6-10 hours and have never had the cup over half way full (even on my heavy day). You may think it is tricky to pinch the cup and pull it out and not get blood everywhere—but trust me, you won’t have a problem. When I first received the Lena cup I was shocked at how small it was, I couldn’t believe that that would hold much blood. But you don’t realize how little blood tampons hold until you use a menstrual cup. Also, menstrual blood is rather thick. It is more the consistency of dish soap, so it won't splash out like water would. 

 What if I had to change the cup in public?
a.     Since you only need to change your cup a minimum every 12 hours, you shouldn’t really need to change it in public. If you plan your day accordingly you shouldn’t need a change in the middle of your outing. If you were to need to change it in public, try and find a restroom with a sink in the stall. You only need to wash the cup with warm water and mild soap (hand soap) and then reinsert it. If you don’t have water and soap, try a wet wipe (not suggested, but just in case of emergency).

Taking the cup out shouldn’t be too difficult. If you left the tail on, you can pull gently on it to get the cup to move down. If you can reach the base of the cup pinch it and pull gently down. If you are having trouble getting the cup out (if you cut off the entire tail & the cup is high in you... like me haha) you may have to reach around the back side of you and try to grab it that way. You may have to reposition your fingers as the cup is wider at the top. I suggest you have a tissue ready incase some fluids are being difficult. This process shouldn’t hurt!
Wash the cup out with warm water and soap. Make sure the air holes around the top of the cup don’t get clogged. Once, the cup is washed you can reinsert it!

Color

This cup is clear pink, and right now only comes in clear pink. Some menstrual cups stain brown/red from your blood, but this one has maintained it color.

How well I thought the product worked

I don’t think I will ever switch back to pads and tampons! I really enjoyed the ease of using the Lena cup. I thought it was easy to use, comfortable, and gave me freedom. I was able to change my cup up to 12 hours after insertion. It’s so convenient !I didn’t have to worry about leaks what so ever, even on my heavy days. It wasn’t painful to insert or remove. I never had any problems with spilling on removal.

I wouldn’t suggest this product to a young girl just starting to learn about her body and starting to menstruate. It is somewhat tricky to insert/remove if you aren’t confident in your anatomy.
I would suggest the small size for anyone young, petite, and pre-vaginal birth. Although, I think that the small sized cup should work for anyone due to its suctioning abilities.
I have not tried the large sized cup and do not intend it because the small size works well for me.

The Good

Convenient, holds a lot, one time purchase, safe, reusable, adorable packaging, affordable, and reliable.

The Bad/The Ugly

The only negative thing I have to say about using a menstrual cup is that you will probably have to use a thin panty liner along with it. I found that I secreted a tiny amount of “dried” looking blood when my cup was in. I think that this is because when inserting my cup, it didn’t cover my entire vagina so some preexisting blood was on my vagina walls and came out. The cup does catch 99.9% of the blood, but preexisting blood may escape. (Idk if that makes sense, but this was not a cup malfunction)

Tips & Tricks
  •  Do you need to buy fancy cup wash? 
    • No! Just use warm water and antibacterial hand soap
  • Trim your finger nails... trust me, just do it. 
  • Practice folds & do a “dry run"
  •  Wear a 100% organic cotton panty liner when using the cup
  •  Check to see if your cup has opened after insertion
  • If you have a “porous” sink do not pour your blood into the sink, try pouring it into a ceramic/marble/glass sink or toilet. It will stain plastic based sinks.
PLEASE READ AN UPDATE ON THIS BLOG AND CLICK HERE

Check out LENA here.
Check out the panty liners I use.

I am looking forward to trying Natracare panty liners and Me Luna Shorty menstrual cup soon!



Thanks for reading!

-K

Everything expressed in this blog is my personal experience or opinion based on research I have chosen to believe. I am not a medical professional. Should you seek medical advice about using a menstrual cup, contact a physician.  

ALL INSTRUCTIONAL PICTURES WERE TAKEN FROM LENACUP.COM

Popular posts from this blog

Benefit They're Real VS. Too Faced Better Than Sex

The ultimate mascara review! If you are even slightly a bit of a make up addict you probably have heard about both Benefit's They're Real and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I have tested them both out and feel confident I can give you an honest review on both of these mascaras. To be upfront I'll tell you that I prefer lengthening mascara, black black black mascara, non-waterproof, and a product that isn't going to smudge or flake off! I also bought these mascaras thinking that if I didn't like one or both of them I am definitely going to return them. Twenty some dollars is way too much money to spend on a product that doesn't work. So- here is how I tested the products: I wore all the mascara without any other eye makeup to determine smudging, flaking, etc. Day 1- I wore Too Faced Better Than Sex on both eyes Day 2- I wore Benefit's They're Real! on both eyes Day 3- I wore Too Faced on the left eye, Benefit on the right eye Day 4- I

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!