Skip to main content

Paragard IUD: The First Cycle



Hey ladies-
Today I am bringing you a blog about my first cycle with my Paragard IUD. To read my blog about the insertion click here.
I got my IUD inserted on August 3, 2017. I was on the tail end of my period when I got it inserted and continued to spot for about four days after insertion. Nothing a panty liner couldn't handle! I had cramping after insertion that lasted for less than 24 hours. I took Ibuprofen during the day and relaxed! Honestly, I was exhausted from having anxiety (about getting it in) so it was nice to just relax. During this cycle I got random mild cramping for an hour here or there, and ibuprofen managed it when needed. The cramping was not every day, out of the cycle I probably cramped for 5 days total (after the first 24 hours, and before my period began). I did spot VERY minimally here and there too, but honestly it was nothing to even wear a panty liner for. I was really surprised with how well I was doing with the IUD!

During this cycle (five days after getting my IUD inserted) I had something crazy happen to me which was completely unrelated to the IUD but involved my reproductive organs. I made a YouTube video about it if you want to watch it! Click here to be taken to YouTube.


ok a bit of an exaggeration... i know people have it worse 
So now the fun... or not so fun part... My period. Before the IUD I had what I would describe as WONDERFUL AWESOME PERIODS, they've always been light, no cramping (except the first day), and always lasted a predictable 6 days. I have long cycles between 31-35 days, which is nice! So here comes September 2nd, a month after I got my IUD inserted. I start to notice some light spotting. Then the next day light spotting and moderate cramping. This goes on for 3 days... And I am like "Wow... Is my period going to be like this now? I can totally handle this!!". Then on the fourth day, I welcomed Niagara Falls. Holy shit... Um, I knew that this would be a heavier period but I didn't know it was going to be like a postpartum hemorrhage (totes a joke, lol). I have the brightest, most thin blood, coming out of me at a rapid pace. If lay down and then stand up it feels like I pee myself (and then I run to the bathroom saying "oh shit, oh shit", holding my crotch)... WTF. I use a menstrual cup and since my blood is thinner than water, it is just leaking out of the sides and holes of the cup... I have to wear a panty liner or pad with the cup (which pisses me off- one of the reasons I was fine with heavier periods is because I use a cup and they have always been wonderful for me and made me feel as if I wasn't on my period). I'd go 5 hours without changing the cup and it'll fill about half way (probably more than quadruple the amount of what I previously had). Not to mention, after the spotting and mild/moderate cramping the first 3 days, I literally felt like I was giving birth to an alien πŸ‘½ the fourth day. I've never felt cramps that bad. Ibuprofen didn't even help... The cramps during heaviest day were WORSE than during the insertion... And dare I say it, almost worse than the ovarian torsion I had a few weeks prior. Rolling up on the fifth day, I was prepared for the worst. To my surprise, the horrid cramps stopped. Day 5 & 6- my flow is still heavy as shit (full menstrual cup after 10 hours + leakage).

My entire period lasted 9 days... compared to a light & wonderful 6-7 days without the IUD. After the 4th day, I barely had any cramping. My flow didn't really let up much until the 8th day, and on the 9th (and last day), my flow was light-spotting.

I honestly can't say if I'll be keeping my IUD... I know for a fact if I have another period like this one, I am going to struggle going to work. I am lucky enough to have had this time off and to manage my pain at home. I've had a hell of a month and REALLY would love for my reproductive organs to remain calm and act normal. I am waiting to see what my next period is like, but I don't want to wait and have it be the same or worse. If I do get it removed, I feel as though I wasted a lot of money, after all these devices cost upwards of $1,000 (without insurance). I feel really pissed off frankly, because I cannot do anything about it- I have to wait for my doctor to remove it. I'm not sure what I am going to do but I'll keep my blog updated! Thanks for reading my rant. Hopefully I didn't scare too many people off, HA!

On the flip side- I love the Paragard IUD as birth control. It's so nice not to worry about anything (like condoms) before sex, and I know I am pretty much guaranteed not to get pregnant πŸ‘ΆπŸΌπŸ™…πŸΌ. So, that's nice. AND, I am loving the no hormones!!

HOPEFULLY MY NEXT PERIOD IS NICE TO ME πŸ™ƒ

Just a little disclaimer- I know a lot of people who have the Paragard IUD and like it. As I stated in my last blog, you can only truly go off of your own experience. I am really happy I tried Paragard IUD, regardless of the outcome.

Thanks for reading!

-K








Popular posts from this blog

Benefit They're Real VS. Too Faced Better Than Sex

The ultimate mascara review! If you are even slightly a bit of a make up addict you probably have heard about both Benefit's They're Real and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I have tested them both out and feel confident I can give you an honest review on both of these mascaras. To be upfront I'll tell you that I prefer lengthening mascara, black black black mascara, non-waterproof, and a product that isn't going to smudge or flake off! I also bought these mascaras thinking that if I didn't like one or both of them I am definitely going to return them. Twenty some dollars is way too much money to spend on a product that doesn't work. So- here is how I tested the products: I wore all the mascara without any other eye makeup to determine smudging, flaking, etc. Day 1- I wore Too Faced Better Than Sex on both eyes Day 2- I wore Benefit's They're Real! on both eyes Day 3- I wore Too Faced on the left eye, Benefit on the right eye Day 4- I

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!