Skip to main content

Natural Deodorant Reviews

Has anyone found a natural deodorant that works? I well… sorta… have. I am waiting for one that is amazing though. In this blog I will review several types of natural deodorants. Why use natural deodorant you may ask? Well, the skin is the largest organ of the body. Anything put onto the skin can be absorbed into your bloodstream. I think of like this: if you wouldn’t put it in your mouth, don’t put it on your skin. It’s defiantly easier said than done. I do not use natural deodorant every single day, but I definitely would if I found one that worked just as good as regular deodorant. I am in a battle of not wanting to harm my body and not wanting to smell funky…Help me on the quest of finding the best natural deodorant out there! (comment below!!)




Here is a list of harmful ingredients found in your regular deodorants such as Dove, Secret, Degree, etc…
·      Aluminum (blocks sweat glands, linked to cancer)
·      Parabens (used as a preservative, potential role in breast cancer)
·      Propylene glycol (neurotoxin) -- two of the products I used had this in it, Tom's and Earth Science. You can read more about it here: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240
·      TEA and DEA (could cause liver and kidney damage… banned in Europe)
·      Triclosan (antimicrobial… could disrupt normal microbiota, thyroid function, and hormones)
·      AND MANY MORE!

Product
Price
Rating
Lush The Greeench
Deodorant Powder
2.8 oz.
$7.95 at Lush Stores
7/10
Tom’s Maine Woodspice
Deodorant Stick
2.25 oz.
$4.49 at Walgreens
3/10
Hugo Naturals Mexican Lime and Bergamot
Deodorant Stick
1.5 oz.
$5.59 at VitaminLife.com
4/10
Crystal Fragrance Free
Deodorant Spray
4 fl. oz.
$4.19 at Jet.com
6/10
Crystal Essence Pomegranate
Roll On
2.25 fl. oz.
$2.99 on LuckyVitamin.com

5/10
Earth Science Tea Tree Lavender
Deodorant Stick
2.45 oz.
$3.59 on AllStarHealth.com
7/10


Some products I am interested in trying over the next few months:
1.     PiperWai (as seen on SharkTank)
2.    Jason Naturally Fresh or Tea Tree Oil

Lush The Greeech
Price- $7.95 for 2.8 oz. This is the most expensive deodorant I purchased BUT keep in mind it is powder so it should last you a long time. I have had the same bottle for over a year and use it pretty frequently (mostly in the winter and fall). You can buy this deodorant at LUSH stores or on their online store.
Scent- The scent is nice! It is light, slightly herby, slightly tea tree oil, and slightly minty (ha ha). It is not overwhelming but it is not weak either.
Consistency & application- Well this product is powder, and this is my least favorite things about it. It is hard to apply. You have to squeeze some out of the bottle and onto one hand at a time-- it’s really hard to squeeze powder out of a bottle… Lush needs to come up with a better design for this product. When you rub the powder onto your underarm I feel like half of it gets on the floor or onto your clothes! Defiantly don’t wear black when applying this deodorant!
How well the product works- This is one of the best working deodorants I have tried! I don’t have to reapply. By 12 hours I can still pick up the scent of the deodorant and I don’t have any bad odor! In the morning when I shower (after 24 hours since applying), I can feel the deodorant wash off as I clean my underarms! It really stays on there. The reason I gave this product a 7/10 is because it’s a powder. If LUSH could come up with this exact formula into a stick I would be one happy camper.
Likes- Lasts long, scent is fresh, longevity of product.
Dislikes- Powder formula.
Buy/use again?- YES :)

Tom’s Maine Woodspice
Price- $4.49 for 2.25 oz. This is on the higher end for prices of the deodorants I have tried. I do notice that you can sometimes find these at TJ Maxx. I bought this deodorant at my local grocery store. You can order them online and find them at most drug stores too!
Scent- Before using the product I thought that the scent was the only one that I could tolerate from the Tom’s line of natural deodorants. Sadly, after applying it was much worse. I didn’t like the smell at all. It is very herby and somewhat minty. It smells very “natural” if that makes sense.
Consistency & application- This deodorant was easy to apply just like a normal stick deodorant. It has a smooth consistency and is not sticky.
How well the product works- For the price that this deodorant and the fact that it is one of the more popular natural deodorants, I had higher hopes. This deodorant didn’t work well. I found that it wore off fast. When combined with natural body odors it smelled worse than it did before applying.
Likes- Nothing…
Dislikes- Smell, price, lack of longevity.
Buy/use again?- No!

Hugo Naturals Mexican Lime and Bergamot
Price- $5.59 for 1.5 oz. This is one of the more expensive natural deodorants I’ve tried. I bought this a TJ Maxx and it was even pricey there. The reason I bought it was because the smell is to die for.
Scent- This is the best smelling natural deodorant I have ever tried. It smells like a lime popsicle… That is until you start to smell yourself. Lime + natural body odor = GROSS!! I was really bummed out that this deodorant scent didn’t over power natural body odors L
Consistency & application- This deodorant is a stick. It is not easy to apply. The deodorant is hard and very dense. You have to really press on your delicate underarm skin to get any on there.
How well the product works- I was really bummed by this product because I wanted it to work so badly! It didn’t last long (4 hours tops), and when it started to wear off it smelled terrible (as said above). I didn’t reapply because I didn’t want to have the same nasty smell by the end of the day.
Likes- Scent
Dislikes- Expensive, hard to apply, doesn’t last long, creates terrible odor.
Buy/use again?- I will use this product as a dry perfume but not a deodorant! Once I am out of it I will most likely not buy it again.

Crystal Fragrance Free Spray
Price- $4.19 for 4 fl. oz. I thought that this price was pretty comparable to Crystal Essence Pomegranate Roll On. You can definitely use this product for a long time. You can buy this product online, at Giant Eagle, Whole Foods, Target, and TJ Maxx. Great deal!
Scent- This deodorant is the only one I reviewed that is fragrance free! This would be perfect for the person who doesn’t like a scent added to their deodorants.
Consistency & application- This product comes in a spray bottle and is the consistency of water. It was easy to apply (1 spray per underarm). It is similar to the Crystal Essence product because it was a very wet application. Not for someone who doesn’t like the feeling of having wet underarms.
How well the product works- I thought that this product worked pretty well! I didn’t have to reapply, and by the end of the day I was smelling pretty fresh. It is fragrance free so nothing was covering up my natural scent, but I did notice that I didn’t really develop an odor.
Likes- Price, simple application, and masks odors well.
Dislikes- Wet application.
Buy/use again?- Yes J although I do like a scented deodorant, I will use this product again.

Crystal Essence Pomegranate
Price- $2.99 for 2.25 oz. I found this product at TJ Maxx, but you can also buy it online and stores such as Giant Eagle and Whole Foods. This deodorant was one of the cheapest ones I tried, which was definitely a plus!
Scent- I really liked the scent of this deodorant. It smelled like a light fruity perfume! It wasn’t overwhelming.
Consistency & application- This deodorant is a roll on, so when applying, it is not a “dry” deodorant. It made my underarms wet but it did eventually dry. This product defiantly wouldn’t be for you if you don’t like wet deodorants. It was easy to apply and didn’t take much product! I did reapply 2 times during the day.
How well the product works- I thought this deodorant worked similarly to the Crystal Essence Fragrance Free Spray but it seemed to wear off faster. I was hoping that because it had a scent that it would work better, but this wasn’t the case. I think the product would be good for someone who doesn’t mind multiple applications per day.
Likes- Scent, and price.
Dislikes- Wet application, lack of longevity, and constantly having to reapply.
Buy/use again?- No L


Earth Science Tea Tree Lavender
Price- $3.59 for 2.45 oz. I found this product at TJ Maxx, but you can also buy it online. I thought it was averaged priced for this type of natural deodorant. Compared to a brand like Secret which costs on average around 5$ per 2.2 oz., I thought this was a great deal!
Scent- This deodorant smells very strongly, just like Tea Tree oil! I like Tea Tree oil but I think it is a smell only some people like. I was hoping because of how strong it smelled, that it would work really well!
Consistency & application- This product is a solid deodorant stick. When applying it is sort of sticky, but does not stay sticky throughout the day. It is just like applying a “normal” deodorant.
How well the product works- This deodorant worked well! I would put this in the top two of the natural deodorants I have tried. After 12 hours I did not smell (YAY!). The Tea Tree oil scent of the deodorant did wear off though. I thought this product did a decent job controlling sweat as well!
Likes- Scent, odor control, easy to apply, and price.
Dislikes- semi-sticky when applying  
Buy/use again?- YES! I’m so glad I found this product!


Ingredients
The Greeench-
Talc , Sodium Bicarbonate , Magnesium Trisilicate , Lycopodium Powder , Fragrance , Water (Aqua) , Thyme Oil (Thymus zygis) , Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) , Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax tonkinensis pierre) , Powdered Sage (Salvia Officinalis) , Powdered Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) , Powdered Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) , *Limonene , *Linalool , Chlorophyllin 
*Occurs naturally in essential oils

Tom’s Maine Woodspice-
Propylene Glycol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Water, Glyceryl Laurate, Fir (Abies Balsamea) Needle Oil with Other Natural Oils, Chamomilla (Chamomilla Recutita) Flower Water, Hops (Humulus Lupulus) Extract [CO2], Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Silica Shells, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus) Oil (Organic)

 Hugo Naturals Mexican Lime and Bergamot-
Copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, saccharomyces ferment, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, sorbitan olivate, oryza sativa (rice) hull powder, alpha bisabolol, tocopherol, allantoin, citrus aurantifolia (lime) oil, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil*, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, lonicera japonica (honeysuckle) flower extract, glycerin. *Certified Organic

Crystal Deodorant Spray-
Purified Water (Aqua), Potassium Alum (Natural Mineral Salts), Sodium Bicarbonate, Benzoic Acid (natural preservative), Zinc Gluconate (natural preservative)

Crystal Essence Pomegranate-
Purified water (aqua), Natural Mineral Salts (Potassium Alum), Cellulose, Pomegranate fragrance (parfum) made with essential oils and extracts.

Earth Science Tea Tree Lavender-
Proplyene Glycol, Water, Stearic Acid, Cyclomethicone, Talc, Silica, Sodium Hydroxide, Arnica Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Lavender Oil, Licorice Root Extract, Juniper Fruit Oil, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Safflower Seed Oil, Coriander Extract, Matricaria Flower Extract, Thyme Leaf Oil.


Thanks for Reading!
-K

Use my referral link to get a $5 coupon at Amazon for signing into the Amazon App the first time: https://amazon.com/mpr?referralcode=KAYLA8470N&ref_=mpr_tr_ss





Popular posts from this blog

Benefit They're Real VS. Too Faced Better Than Sex

The ultimate mascara review! If you are even slightly a bit of a make up addict you probably have heard about both Benefit's They're Real and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I have tested them both out and feel confident I can give you an honest review on both of these mascaras. To be upfront I'll tell you that I prefer lengthening mascara, black black black mascara, non-waterproof, and a product that isn't going to smudge or flake off! I also bought these mascaras thinking that if I didn't like one or both of them I am definitely going to return them. Twenty some dollars is way too much money to spend on a product that doesn't work. So- here is how I tested the products: I wore all the mascara without any other eye makeup to determine smudging, flaking, etc. Day 1- I wore Too Faced Better Than Sex on both eyes Day 2- I wore Benefit's They're Real! on both eyes Day 3- I wore Too Faced on the left eye, Benefit on the right eye Day 4- I

Marilyn & Daddy-O by LUSH Review

This week I will be reviewing two products from LUSH Cosmetics. LUSH is a mostly natural, handmade, organic cosmetic store. If you've ever been to one of their stores you know they are addicting! They create anything from henna hair dye to perfume. It's pretty cool, the only downfall is that most of their products are pretty expensive!

Nursing School 101: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go

Hey guys! This week I won’t be doing a product review. I am going to write about my experience with nursing school. I hope that this blog helps anyone who is going, looking, or dreaming about going through nursing school!   Before I started nursing school I was really curious about it and searched the internet for videos and blogs. I’ve noticed that a lot of nurses and nursing stories online (and in real life) are very negative. I found this to be really depressing and I questi oned if I did the right thing by switching my major. I decided that I was going to have a positive mindset and enjoy the process. I hope that this blog leaves you with a better understanding and a positive mindset before you head off to school!